Mesothelioma is also known as lung cancer. Mesothelioma is the most fatal among all the cancers. Number of people dying from breast, colon and prostate cancer is much less than the people dying from lung cancer. According to the reports of American Cancer Society there will be 213,380 new cases of mesothelioma in 2007, Out of which around 160,390 people will die.
Chain-smoking is the major reason for lung cancer. In US, out of the mesothelioma cases diagnosed, about 80 percent cases are because of smoking. Cigarette smoking is most dangerous as it greatly increases the chances of developing mesothelioma. Cigar smoking and tobacco smoking is also very harmful and can enhance the chances of developing mesothelioma. Avoiding cigarette smoking, cigar smoking and tobacco smoking before the development of lung cancer can reduce this and it will replace the affected tissues with normal one i.e. help in maintaining the healthy lungs.
If you are a passive smoker i.e. if you live with one who smokes, greatly increases the chances of developing cancer than a person who doesn’t live with a smoker. A passive smoker is at high risk of getting cancer than a smoker. There are some other factors which also enhance cancer and these are as following
- Arsenic in drinking water.
- Exposure to asbestos, asbestos cause cancer in lining of lungs and cause Mesothelioma.
- Marijuana cigarettes have more tar than regular cigarettes, hence more harmful.
- You are at higher risk if you had family member who had Mesothelioma.
- Exposure to radon, also cause cancer.
- Lack of fruits and vegetables in diet also increase the risk of cancer.
The most common symptoms according to American Cancer Society are – Regular cough, Roughness, Breath shortness, Bloody sputum, Weight loss, Loss of hunger.